Officers Subject to Recall:
- Any city may by charter petition for the recall of an elected officer.
Key Steps in the Recall Process:
- Recall may commence at any time.
- No specific grounds are required.
- No restriction on time for gathering signatures.
- Signature requirement is number equaling 20% of the qualified voters of the city.
- In West Virginia, which allows cities to recall elected officials, a bill was introduced in the Assembly to extend recall to federal elected officials but it did not pass before the legislature adjourned on March 18, 2011.
Read the code at WV Code §8-12-4(3).
No current cases.
News & Commentary
No current articles.
Each state has its own requirements as to the manner in which petitions must be collected, signed and filed. It is imperative that official recall committees are legally formed in each state according to the state laws and regulations. The handling of the petitions must comply with the laws and regulations of each state.