Officers Subject to Recall:
- The mayor, or any commissioner or any alderman in municipalities of the state.
Key Steps in the Recall Process:
- Recall may commence at any time.
- Grounds for recall are misconduct, malfeasance, nonfeasance, crimes in office, drunkenness, gross incompetency, corruption, theft, oppression, or gross partiality.
- Time for gathering signatures is 60 days.
- Signature requirement is number equal to 15% of registered voters in the municipality, based on the total number of registered voters at the time of the last general election.
Read the code at SDCL §9-13-29 - 9-13-35.
No current cases.
News & Commentary
No current articles.
Each state has its own requirements as to the manner in which petitions must be collected, signed and filed. It is imperative that official recall committees are legally formed in each state according to the state laws and regulations. The handling of the petitions must comply with the laws and regulations of each state.